Getting a foot in the door
We know landing your first job is not always easy. That’s why we help young people with a disability gain valuable work experience.
Am I eligible for the School Leavers Employment Support program?
You may be eligible for the School Leavers Employment Support (SLES) program if:
- You are a school leaver who has completed year 12 and has an intellectual, psychiatric or sensory disability
- You have been assessed and be deemed as Eligible for NDIS
- You live in NSW
- You want to improve your chances for work or study
What happens in the SLES program?
First, we find out what your employment goals are. What type of job are you looking for? Do you need to do further study to achieve your work goals?
We will then work out a program that’s just right for you. This could include group activities, such as putting together your resume, or individual tasks like work experience or preparing for your interview.
What skills will I learn?
We will teach you about many different aspects of work life, including:
- How to keep safe from harm and injury and stay healthy at work
- How to work in a team
- How to do manual handling tasks safely and efficiently
- What your rights and responsibilities are as a worker
- How to appropriately use social media at work
- How to interact with people at work with confidence
- What superannuation is and why it’s important
- What disability standards at work means
I’m not sure what job I want. Can I still join SLES?
As part of SLES, you will have the opportunity to try out jobs to see what you like and what you’re good at, then help you work towards your goals.
Look to the future. Find out about SLES today.
You can also learn more about applying for a job through our Connexions program.